Image by: My Visita Iglesia
The news lately has been reporting that parents are not raising their kids anymore. The TV, the computer and video games are pretty much raising our kids. That is a pretty scary thought thinking that our kids are being raised by others on Myspace, Youtube and the like.
Being raised in southeast Idaho I was exposed to a particular religion. While I don’t agree with all their principles they had a great idea they called Family Home Evening. One night a week they spent the evening with their kids doing various things as a family.
Below is a few ideas of ways you can spend some time with your kids to get that “family” feeling back into your and their lives. I wish I would have done more with my kids at home when I had the chance.
- Go on the computer with your kids and have them show you their favorite Youtube videos that are funny. Laughing together will help form or reinforce that family bonding.
- Rent some movies and have a movie night. Pop some popcorn or get your favorite snacks, some soda or juice and just watch some movies. Comedies would be good, get the laughter going!
- Board games – remember those? Monopoly®, Life® or hundreds of other games can be a fun way to spend the evening with your children.
- Go outside and shoot some hoops or play catch, kick a ball around, lawn darts, ride bicycles, go for a walk, go to a park or playground… whatever you enjoy doing. Don’t be too competitive and have fun.
- Help them with their homework, you might even learn something. I am terrible with Algebra, but if I look at the examples I can usually figure out the problem, if not.. hey there is always Google to look for more help!
While you are doing any of the above spend some time talking with your kids. Find out what is going on with them, how is school, their friends and their girl/boy friends if applicable. What is bothering them… spend some quality time and get to know your kids again, or find out what is on their minds!
What ways do you use to connect with your children?